Archive for May, 2012
It is time again to begin planning for the 15th Annual Pumpkin Run Car and Motorcycle Show which will be held September 22nd & 23rd.
We would like to ask our lodging members if they would consider giving special rates to the show participants. If you wish to do so, please let us know by May 25th so we may include that information with the registration packets we are preparing to mail out. We will also include the information on our Facebook page.
This year we would also like to develop a program to drive some shoppers into our member’s stores. The idea is for you as the business owner to offer specials in you store (maybe even some light refreshments). The participants will get a punch card at the first place they stop and if they stop at each participating merchant and have the card punched they will be entered into a drawing to win a prize(yet to be determined). Again, we would like to have this information included in the packets so please let us know if you will participate.
Please call us if you have any questions.
Linda S. Tuck
Houghton Lake Chamber of Commerce
Ruth Linton of Michigan Maps, the company that produces the county maps we use, will be in the area soliciting in the next few weeks. We would like you to be aware that the Chamber has dealt with this company for several years and we foresee no problems with anyone speaking with Ruth
A message from Pierre LaVoie, Director of Strategic Partnerships:
I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your partnership with SBAM over the last year. The last 12 months or so were a tremendous time for SBAM and our joint members companies. As we look back, an important theme emerged that we want to share. The growth of SBAM’s membership and strategic partnership program fueled a more influential and impactful small business climate here in Michigan. Since January 2011, SBAM’s membership has increased by 28 percent. This dramatic growth has created greater value for all SBAM members and is proof positive that our mission of supporting small businesses through an active and connected community is working. We could not have been this successful on behalf of small business without our 34 Strategic partnerships across Michigan. Thank you for your support and we look forward to renewing our partnership in 2012.
• Over 3,500 new companies joined SBAM, bringing our total membership over 13,000 small businesses
• 34 different local chambers of commerce and business associations engaged SBAM through our Strategic Partnership program
• Hosted a record 550 attendees at our June Annual Meeting featuring Governor Snyder
• Reached new levels of participation in our employee benefits programs, which now serve over 4,500 companies and 75,000 employees and dependents
• Small Biz PAC benefited from its highest level of participation ever
Difference Making Influence:
• Led the effort to kill the MBT and end double taxation of small business owners
• Voted 2nd most influential lobbying organization, most influential for small business owners
• Fought and won needed reforms to Michigan’s Workers Compensation Program and Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund
• Former Chairs of SBAM’s Board recognized and honored by the National Small Business Association
Impact for Small Business:
• Presented seminars on Economic Gardening to hundreds of local economic developers and organizations
• Launched Michigan’s Economic Gardening Pilot program, serving 54 growing companies which features 22 SBAM members
• Partnered with Google and Crain’s Detroit Business on new member events designed to help companies grow
• Received industry awards for our email communication and membership programs
• Released new audio seminar series via SBAM.org
• Announced new membership benefits from NuWave Technology Partners, Accident Fund, MessageMakers and Midwest Transaction Group
Again, thank you for your continued partnership. We hope you see the value of our work on your behalf in Lansing and across the state. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to share local story of success with our team.
Have a great 2012!
Denise Hansen Marketing & Retail Consultant with the Michigan SBTDC will be at the Roscommon Township Hall on May 31st from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm giving a marketing and retail presentation. Denise assists emerging and growing businesses by offering a range of services, like writing business plans and developing sles strategies at no cost. After her PowerPoint Presentation she will answer questions and make appointments to meet with our local businesses. This event is sponsored by the Roscommon County Economic Development Corporation and the Houghton Lake Chamber of Commerce.
For more information cotact Rosalie Myers (989)275-5268 or the Houghton Lake Chamber of Commerce at (989) 366-5644.